MULTIMEDIA > MEMBERSHIP > BENEFIT
- In building the union from a small union to a major industrial union where we have won centralised bargaining to protect workers from low wages, exploitation and poor benefits ;
- Membership of the union has grown to approximately 50% of the current workforce in the metal industry.
- We have responded to urgent problems of members like protecting their jobs
- Some gains have been made in closing the wage gap between highly paid workers and low paid workers.
- Numsa has united metalworkers across race, ethnic and gender lines. Women are secured with their jobs after maternity leave.
- Wages and benefits of the workers have been improved. The union has won pension or provident funds for almost all members.
- We have successfully protected individual workers victimised and fired by employers through legal battles and worker solidarity.
- We have embarked on campaigns that assisted sister unions on the continent and around the globe to grow and fight the misery of exploitation and dehumanisation.
- We have been able to sustain our resources and have accounted to members on how their monies are used.
- We have engaged in campaigns that forced the government to implement pro-poor policies and increase the level of services.
- We have protected workers from work-related injuries and won compensation in case of an injury.
- A strong leadership in our factories has fought employers to provide training and education for members.
- We influenced the government to adopt worker friendly laws.
FOR MORE THAN 30 YEARS
AND HAS MANY ACHIEVEMENTS TO CELEBRATE.
WE SHOULD PRAISE OURSELVES BUT WE SHOULD ALSO BE WARY OF
THESE CHALLENGES STILL FACING US