Below are some details of the new collective wage agreement which we have signed:
- We have agreed to a three year wage agreement which will be backdated from the 1 July 2017 and will expire on the 30th June 2020.
- The new consolidated main agreement will be extended to non-parties and is binding to all in the Engineering sector. The Bargaining Council shall be the sole forum for negotiating matters contained in the Main Agreement. During the currency of the Agreement, no matter contained in the Agreement may be an issue in dispute for the purposes of a strike or lock-out or any conduct in contemplation of a strike or lock-out.
- In the first year of the agreement wages will be increased by 7% on the actual rates of pay across the board effective from 1 July 2017 to 30th June 2018.
- In the second year of the agreement wages will be increased by 6.75% on the actual rates of pay across the board effective from 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019.
- In the third year of the agreement wages will be increased by 6.5% on the actual rates of pay across the board effective from 1 July 2019 to 30 June 2020.
- Company-level agreements will not be affected by the provisions above. Furthermore, in the case of such existing company-level agreements, only party trade unions registered with the Bargaining Council will be entitled to engage with employers at company level.
- The Parties acknowledge that this Agreement, from date of signature, will be backdated to 1 July 2017, covering all hours worked and related allowances.
NUMSA has been engaging in wage talks in the Plastics sector. We want them to align with the companies in the Engineering sector. We do not believe the working conditions for our members in this sector should be different as they also fall under the MEIBC. They are represented by the following associations: PCASA; CEO; SAIFA; LEIA and KZNIEA.
NUMSA is therefore making the following demands:
- We want a 15% wage increase across the board based on the actual rate that a worker is earning, and not on the minimum rate.
- We demand a two year agreement.
- We demand the finalization of other outstanding issues during that period.
- We demand the extension of the agreement to everyone in the plastics sector, even non-parties.
We will continue to do all we can to negotiate an agreement which will benefit our members.
“No thieves, no traitors, no interventionists. This time the revolution is for real!”
Issued by Irvin Jim NUMSA General Secretary
For interviews contact:
NUMSA National Spokesperson (Acting)