Over the last few months, different organisations in Ekurhuleni – trade unions, community organisations, political movement, civic bodies, women’s movements, faith-based organisations, student associations and youth groups – have been meeting to look at problems that affect their communities and constituencies.
These organisations have resolved that the only way to address and resolve their challenges is through a United Front that brings together workers and communities. They have also agreed to kick-off their programme with a march on Tuesday 25 November 2014 to the Mayor of Ekurhuleni’s office at the Germiston Civic Centre.
The demands of Ekurhuleni’s United Front are:
- Provision of houses to people who have been on the waiting list since 1996
- A municipal land audit in Ekurhuleni. The municipality cannot continue to say it has no land.
- The scrapping of the increase from R850 to R3 800 in graveyard costs.
- Rehabilitation of old Natalspruit Hospital as the new Vosloorus is small.
- A stop to the plan to sell sportgrounds to the private sector.
A halt on outsourcing of water and sanitation services.
No to prepaid meters in our townships.
- Protection of hawkers and local shop-owners from corrupt government official.
- A commitment on the part of the municipality to procure locally-produced goods and services to ensure protection of local jobs.
The municipality to work with Transnet to repair the railway line that connects Union Carriage & Wagon (UCW) with the outside world.
Enough is enough! Sakwanele manje! Golekane Golekane!
A Luta Continua!!!
Transport to ferry people from around Ekurhuleni has been arranged as follows:
|Area||Departure Time||Pickup Point||Coordinator||
|KwaTsaDuza (KwaThema, Tsakane & Duduza)||08:00||Extension 15 (Next Taxi Rank & Garage)||
1. Johannes Mofephe
2. Tshepo Poolo
078 720 7861
072 457 4818
|Germiston/Makause||09:00||Germiston Makause||General Alfred Moyo||073 266 2929|
|Kathorus (Katlehong, Tsakane & Vosloorus)||08:30||
1. Resource Centre Sontonga Street Ramokopi Section Katlehong (1-bus)
2. Natalspruit Hospital (1- Bus)
1. Mxolisi Ndimande
2. Kenny Maseko & Bazner Moloi
071 865 2014
078 283 4537
1. Veli “Bazala” Zitha
2. Viviene xuna
078 458 1636
Details of the march:
Date: Tuesday 25 March 2014
Gathering point: Germiston Lake
Castro Ngobese, Numsa National Spokesperson, 083 627 5197