The National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (Numsa) special Central Committee (CC) meeting concluded its business late yesterday evening Thursday August 2013, at the Vincent Mabuyakhulu Conference Centre (VMCC), 155 Bree (Cnr Gerard Sekoto) Street, Newtown, Johannesburg, Gauteng province.
The CC was taking place within the context of ongoing workers’ struggles in the auto sector for equal redistribution of wealth at the point of production in line with popular aspirations of the Freedom Charter; the ongoing unhidden political onslaught to isolate Numsa from Cosatu and the broader liberation Alliance; and the dirty tactics being applied by certain leaders of Cosatu and some affiliate’s leaders to remove Cosatu’s General Secretary Zwelinzima Vavi, from his elected position.
Some of the discussions in the special CC related to the following political and organisational matters:
• Public attacks directed towards Numsa by the ANC Secretary General and the SACP General Secretary during the POPCRU Political School;
• Preparations for the NUMSA special National Congress scheduled for December 13 – 16, 2013;
• COSATU’s paralysis and the unfolding legal process opposing the suspension of COSATU General Secretary cde Zwelinzima Vavi;
• The settlement or continuation of the automobile (car manufacturers) strike as per mandate from workers;
• State of readiness for the motor industry strike (petrol stations; components; auto aftermarket; car dealerships; panel-beaters etc) planned for the month of September 2013;
A post-CC press conference will be held this morning Friday August 30, 2013, at 11h00am, to publicly announce the key decisions of the meeting.
The press conference will be addressed by Numsa’s National Office Bearers (NOBs’), namely President CEDRIC GINA, General Secretary IRVIN JIM, Deputy General Secretary KARL CLOETE, 1st Deputy President ANDREW CHIRWA, 2nd Deputy President CHRISTINE OLIVIER and National Treasurer MPHUMZI MAQUNGO.
The details are as follows:
DATE : Friday August 30, 2013
TIME : 11H00am
VENUE: NUMSA Head Office, 153 Bree (Cnr Gerard Sekoto) Street, Newtown, Johannesburg, Gauteng province
Members of the media are hereby invited to attend and report.