Monday 29 October 2012
The National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (Numsa) is holding its National Executive Committee (NEC) as from today Monday 29 October 2012 –until- Tuesday 30 October 2012, at Vincent Mabuyakhulu Conference Centre, Newtown, Johannesburg, Gauteng province.
The NEC will be followed by a two day National Evaluation and Strategic Meeting to evaluate the work of done by the union and plan for next 4 years up to 2016.
The purpose of the NUMSA NEC is to receive political, organisational, international and financial reports from the National Office Bearers (NOB’s).
The NEC will thoroughly discuss the following issues;
• Reflections on the COSATU National Congress outcomes;
• Reflections on the forthcoming 53rd National Conference of the ANC and the kind of leadership collective that should emerge to drive the Freedom Charter Moment;
• The poisonous and malicious attacks directed towards the ANC President Jacob Gedley’hlekisa Zuma;
• Former President Thabo Mbeki’s veiled attacks on the ANC and the government;
• The recent public pronouncement by the Ministry of Transport to proceed with the implementation of E-Tolls on Gauteng Highways;
• The Mid-Term Budget Speech (MTBS) as was presented by the Minister of Finance Pravin Gordham;
• The proposed 16% electricity tariffs hikes by ESKOM;
• The Transnet’s outsourcing of roller stock production to Chinese company instead of procuring locally as per government’s Local Procurement Accord;
• The ongoing class struggles waged by mineworkers for a Living Wage; targeted killings of NUM Shopstewards;
A post-National Executive Committee (NEC) Press Conference will be convened to publicly announce the outcomes and it would be addressed by National Office Bearers (NOB’s), namely General Secretary IRVIN JIM, President CEDRIC GINA, Deputy General Secretary KARL CLOETE, 1st Deputy President ANDREW CHIRWA, 2nd Deputy President CHRISTINE OLIVER and National Treasurer MPHUMZI MAQUNGO.
The details of the NEC Press Conference are as follows:
DATE: Thursday 1 November 2012
VENUE: NUMSA Head Office, Bree Street (Cnr Gerard Sekoto), Newtown, Johannesburg, Gauteng province
Members of the media are hereby invited to attend and report.
Castro Ngobese, National Spokesperson – 083 627 5197