Reshuffling cabinet is like playing musical chairs: the President gets to be the DJ and spins the disc.
Without warning the DJ stops the music and the scramble for seats begins ¬ some are fortunate enough you get a seat and a title, and to be closer to the President.
If you lose your seat, don’t worry – there is always the back benches.
The results of this year’s reshuffle are as follows:
• Minister of Public Service and Administration: Lindiwe Nonceba Sisulu.
• Minister of Defence and Military Veterans: Nosiviwe Noluthando Mapisa-Nqakula.
• Minister of Transport: Benedict Martins.
• Minister of Correctional Services: Joel Sibusiso Ndebele.
• Deputy Minister of Public Works: Jeremy Cronin
• Deputy Minister of Economic Development: Hlengiwe Buhle Mkhize.
• Deputy Minister of Transport: Sindisiwe Chikungu.
• Deputy Minister of Public Enterprises: Bulelani Gratitude Magwanishe.
• Deputy Minister of Higher Education: Mduduzi Comfort Manana.
While the media and political analysts speculate on the appropriateness of the appointments, the DJ contemplates his next move.
Will he still be the DJ after the Mangaung conference?