It’s not everyday that you get a chance to hear African proverbs, but delegates at the 8th National Congress of COSATU were given a pleasant surprise when Hassan Sunmonu, the General Secretary of the Organisation of African Trade Union Unity (OATUU) addressed them on the third day of the Congress. For a few minutes trade union jargon took a back seat (thank goodness!) as the General Secretary introduced a few African proverbs to make a point that has baffled delegates and dominated much of the debate thus far – that of COSATU and its relationship to the Alliance. “The dog has teeth, and when the puppy gets naughty, the dog must use its teeth,” said the GS. The meaning was clear: COSATU must be the dog (with teeth!) and use it whenever government or capital tries to subordinate the interests of the working class and its members. It’s hard to imagine government or capital looking like a puppy, but then again looks can be deceiving. As for Cosatu’s teeth, let’s hope that they are not false!
- NUMSA condemns GroundUp for unethical and unfair news reporting on the CCMA case involving NUMSA Western Cape Regional Secretary Vuyo Lufele 27 June 2023
- Input and Opening Remarks by President NUMSA President, Andrew Chirwa at the Global ITF Conference
- NUMSA SAYS HANDS OFF WORKERS IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR – THEY HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO STRIKE!
- NUMSA TO MARCH TO THE U.S. EMBASSY TO DEMAND THAT MUMIA ABU-JAMAL BE RELEASED IMMEDIATELY
- NO POINT IN CELEBRATING MARGINAL DROP IN UNEMPLOYMENT WHEN LOADSHEDDING IS THREATENING THE ECONOMY