“Wenzeni uZuma, Ngcuka phendula ngoba nguwe olawula ama Scorpions,” topped the charts as Cosatu delegates demonstrated their support for the country’s Deputy President Jacob Zuma. Translated into English the song’s lyrics read: “What did Zuma do? Ngcuka must give answers as head of Scorpions?” As the Congress entered its second day of deliberations, a relaxed and confident Deputy President entered the hall. Delegates immediately broke into song and for a moment the presence of the country’s second most important person overshadowed that of the President – His Excellency Thabo Mbeki.Addressing delegates the Deputy President spoke at length of the struggles of the working class and admitted that while the ANC supported a free, non-sexist and non-racial South Africa, Cosatu and the SACP adopted a more elastic goal in pursuit of socialism and communism. The Deputy President went on to encourage delegates to pursue the “dictatorship of the proletariat” until their goals are met.
- Input and Opening Remarks by President NUMSA President, Andrew Chirwa at the Global ITF Conference
- NUMSA SAYS HANDS OFF WORKERS IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR – THEY HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO STRIKE!
- NUMSA TO MARCH TO THE U.S. EMBASSY TO DEMAND THAT MUMIA ABU-JAMAL BE RELEASED IMMEDIATELY
- NO POINT IN CELEBRATING MARGINAL DROP IN UNEMPLOYMENT WHEN LOADSHEDDING IS THREATENING THE ECONOMY
- NUMSA CONCLUDES A RETRENCHMENT AGREEMENT WITH NAMPAK
- NUMSA Archives (3,278)
- NUMSA National Statements (22)
- NUMSA News Articles (1)