The 2008 xenophobic riots were a serious setback to our country's struggle. They further divided us in front of those who exploit the poor and the working class.
The riots were caused by rising food prices, petrol increases, unemployment, deepening poverty and poor service delivery and struggle for survival. It was the poor fighting the poor, workers fighting against workers for the “crumbs” from bosses.
We demand the following:
• Equitable distribution of wealth
• Rebuilding of townships and rural areas
• Stiffer sentences for tsotsis who engage in xenophobic violence
• Equitable distribution of wealth in South Africa
• Better communities, schools and workplaces
• Better life for refugees, migrants and for poor and working South Africans.
• Foreign workers to be paid according to collective bargaining agreements, to be allowed to join unions and be treated with dignity.
• Stronger action by government and police